Pet shop

Ilkeston pet shop boss explains why there were no pets inside when building caught fire


Staff at a pet store in Ilkeston explained why no animals were inside when the building caught fire.

The 1st 4 Pets store, in Bath Street in the city, caught fire on Saturday afternoon (October 9).

The owner of the business and his family first attempted to put out the fire and went to safety.

Fire chiefs said no animals were inside when the store caught fire – but it’s unclear why.

Until now.

The staff at 1st 4 Pets posted a statement on the company’s Facebook page thanking the community for the help received.

In the comments, the company was asked why there are no pets inside the store.

And the staff replied, “Our animal activities license expired a few weeks ago, so we took them off the premises until we could renew it. The animals had been out since the end of last month.”

And the company added, “Thanks for all the offers of help, we’ll try to get back to everyone, but for now everyone is safe and that’s what’s important.”

Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire firefighters were called to the scene just before 5 p.m. on Saturday 9 October.

You could see thick black smoke rising into the sky.

Incident commander Steve Ratcliffe said upon arrival smoke billowed from the roof and flames from the windows.

Firefighters worked late into the evening – but have now left the scene.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Chiefs issued an update before midnight.

In a tweet, the fire department said, “With the incident underway, the swift actions of the initial crews undoubtedly saved property here!

Nottinghamshire Live attempted to contact the pet store for further comment.

Notts: To read all the biggest and best stories, first sign up to read our newsletters here.